Learn the rights and responsibilities of patients at St. Joseph's General Hospital.
- Every patient has the right to be treated with courtesy and respect.
- Every patient has the right to privacy and confidentiality.
- Every patient has the right to be informed of their condition, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis in a manner which is understandable to them.
- Every patient has the right to give or refuse consent to treatment, including medication, in accordance with the law and to be informed of the consequences of giving or refusing consent.
- Every patient has a right to expect that members of their Health Care Team will communicate with one another in order to ensure continuity of care.
- Every patient has a right to know who is providing care at all times and who is the doctor in charge of their treatment.
- Every patient has the right to express their concerns and receive a response to their questions.
- Patient rights carry with them certain responsibilities. We ask that each patient and/or their representative respect the following obligations.
- Each patient or their representative agrees to provide the Health Care Team with all information relevant to the diagnosis and treatment of the patient.
- To facilitate the timely provision of care consistent with their wishes, each patient shall provide the St. Joseph's General Hospital with the name of a representative who the Hospital personnel can contact in the event that the patient is unable to express their wishes.
- Furthermore, every individual is strongly encouraged to prepare a Power of Attorney for Personal Care.
- Each patient agrees to follow the treatment plan that was developed on their behalf.
- Each patient accepts personal responsibility for the consequences if they decide not to follow the treatment plan developed on their behalf.
- Each patient agrees to be courteous and respectful of other patients, visitors, and members of the St. Joseph's General Hospital’s Care Team. This includes recognition that the needs of other patients and/or their families may sometimes be more urgent than their own.
- Each patient agrees to respect hospital property, policies and procedures.
- Each patient or their guardian agrees to reimburse the St. Joseph's General Hospital for all charges not covered by the Provincial Health Care Plan or private insurance.