- Required items such as glasses, hearing aids, and dentures to eat, communicate, and assist/participate in daily activities and care, as well as to maintain dignity.
- Sleep attire, robe, slip-resistant slippers and comfortable clothing.
- Grooming items such as toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, soap, shampoo, deodorant, sanitary items, and shaving supplies.
- Lip balm and skin cream.
- Address book with phone numbers you require.
Please, DO NOT BRING
- Jewelry or sentimental items,
- Cash, credit cards, wallet, and
- non-prescription drugs or alcohol.
Having a Baby?
If you are staying in our Hospital on our Obstetrics unit, please also ensure to bring the following items for your newborn:
- sleeper and hat to wear in Hospital,
- cotton mittens to prevent baby from scratching face,
- outfit to wear home,
- a baby blanket, and
- a CSA approved car seat.
To protect patients’ property, St. Joseph’s General Hospital Elliot Lake (SJGHEL) reminds patients to leave valuables such as jewelry, money, credit cards, wallets, laptops, cameras, cell phones, or sentimental items at home. SJGHEL recommends that patients bring only items that they need for their Hospital stay.
SJGHEL is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged property. At the time of admission, patients are advised to send their valuables home with a friend or family member. In the event this is not possible, patients are encouraged to speak with Nursing staff to have the items documented and stored in a locked area until discharge.
Lost and Found
Patients are responsible for ensuring that all belongings are collected before leaving the Hospital. If you have forgotten something, immediately call the unit where you were a patient.
Policy on Pets
With the exception of service animals, pets are not allowed in any SJGHEL facility. Exceptions will be considered on compassionate grounds for visits from personal pets (dogs or cats only). Prior consent must be obtained and visits pre-arranged. Please inquire with the manager of the unit.